Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Pause and calmly think of that!

I am always amazed how a scripture I have read many times can come to life in a new way one day. I love how the Holy Spirit whispers 'today this has new meaning'.

Psalm 46:10-11 is one we all know well but today I read verse 11 in the amplified bible and it took on new meaning. 


'Pause and calmly think of that!'

Calm is one word I have never been very good at applying. You can be assured you will not find my name in the dictionary as an example of calm. The sad reality for me is that I have allowed the opposite to reign in my life. One definition of calm said freedom from agitation but I seem to stay in a permanent state of agitation. 

I wouldn't even mention pausing, I don't remember the last time I paused. I can't blame motherhood either because I've always had this predisposition for chaos. Usually it's self inflicted chaos too. 

But what if I did pause and calmly think upon the fact that the Lord of hosts is with me, that the God of Jacob is my refuge, my strong tower and my stronghold? What would that do to my storm? What would that do to this healing bruised reed? 

If God is with me why am I worrying about the bills, where to live, food? This is the same God that said,
““So don’t worry about these things, saying, ‘What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?’ These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.”
Matthew 6:31-33 NLT

Now pause and calmly think about that!

If God is my refuge why do we battle with sin and the evil attacks of hell? Why do we come under so much condemnation and live in defeat? This is the same God that died on a Cross to free us from sin and tore the veil in the temple, the veil of separation!
“So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us. This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls. It leads us through the curtain into God’s inner sanctuary.”
Hebrews 6:18-19 NLT

If God is our strong tower and stronghold, why are we fighting in our strength? Why do we think our plans and our schemes and our ideas can do anything? Why do we spend more time in our churches on entertainment programs to bring people to churches than on our knees praying for our communities? Don't we realize we are fighting spiritual battles and our King is overseeing every detail of a war that is already won? 
“For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,”
II Corinthians 10:3-5 NKJV

We all know the Martha and Mary's story. I'll be honest sometimes it frustrates me because there is so much work to do but Martha was the one Jesus reprimanded. 
“But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.””
Luke 10:41-42 NLT

I need to rewrite these two verses to say "my dear Lesley, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. So come sit at My feet in My presence and you will discover the peace that surpasses all understanding and overwhelming joy that no one will ever be able to take from you! 

Pause and calmly think about that!

Back to Matthew 6:33 "seek you first the kingdom of God". It's His job to take care of the details, but we won't let Him. If we get to see a replay of our lives from Heaven's perspective when this life is over, I am dreading mine. I know there will be lots of times He was in the room patiently waiting for me to come sit at His feet and give Him my burden and let Him take care of the details. Instead I was pacing, crying, fretting, worrying. If I could just have paused for one minute and calmly remembered who I am and who my Saviour is then maybe I could experience what Mary did.

We only ever hear Psalm 23 read and sung at funerals but we have missed a precious blessing and promise if we are waiting for death for this. He wants to give it to us now, here, in the land of living. But we won't pause long enough to calmly think about it. 

“The LORD is my shepherd; I have all that I need. He lets me rest in green meadows; he leads me beside peaceful streams. He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You honor me by anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.”
Psalms 23:1-6 NLT

Death isn't the darkest valley, David knew about valleys and he was very much alive when he wrote this. I know many of you right now are in such a deep, dark valley you can't even see your own hand in front of your face. Please, please don't be afraid He is right there beside you and He has prepared a feast for you in the midst of your enemies. Now if you will pause and calmly think about it what a way to get back at hell right now for the chaos and nightmares it has unleashed in your life. Sit down and let Jesus refresh you, and we aren't talking bread and water here, it's a feast. More than you can imagine, the kind you need a nap after because there is so much food. So instead of sitting crying in the dark as your enemy would want, you can enjoy a feast in fellowship with Your Savior. 

I am praying for spiritual eyes at the minute. Not just to become more aware of the devices of the enemy but also to be more aware of the Holy Spirit and what the Holy Spirit is doing in my life that I can't see. In 2 Kings 6:15-17 Elisah's servant is so afraid of the enemy army around them but Elisah asks for his spiritual eyes to be opened and the boy sees the legions of Heaven's army all around. "Don't be afraid, there are more on our side than on theirs!"

We are surrounded by a great heavenly host. Jesus Christ sits at Gods right hand interceding for us. God's plan for your life is to prosper you and no weapon formed against you will ever prevail. He promised He will complete the work He started in your life. And the best promise of all, He promised He would come back for us and that He has prepared a home for us with Him forever.

So sweet friend pause and calmly think of that. Now stop worrying and come sit at your Saviour's feet and let Him strengthen you. Speak His promises over your life and family. 2 Corinthians 10:5 says take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ. So those lies that are being spoken into your life bring them into obedience of Christ. 

The Lord of hosts is with us! Selah!





No comments:

Post a Comment